Parramatta take control in decider
Date of Event : Sun Apr 1, 2018 9:30PM
Blues paceman Sean Abbott (2-39) was excellent for Parramatta on the second day of the McDonald's NSW Premier Cricket Grand Final, as his club took complete control of the deciding match at Bankstown Oval. Photo credit: Ian Bird.

David Gavin

Parramatta are in a commanding position at stumps on day two of the McDonald’s NSW Premier Cricket Grand Final after a dominant performance with bat and ball against Sydney University at Bankstown Oval.

At stumps, Sydney University are 7/167 after 52 overs, in reply to 334 posted by Parramatta. The two unbeaten batsmen at the crease are Tim Ley (15 not out) and Lawrence Neil-Smith (4 not out).

Scott Copperfield led the way for the Parramatta attack. He claimed 4-56 with effective use of the short ball.

Blues paceman Sean Abbott (2-39) was just as impressive for Parramatta. One of his two wickets included recently retired New South Wales Blues batsman Ed Cowan (35) adjudged lbw.

Ben Martin (1-40) was equally as good claiming the vital scalp of Blues opening batsman and Sydney University captain Nick Larkin (6). Hayden Kerr (39) is the top score so far for the students.

Earlier in the day, Adam Turrell (55) became the third Parramatta batsman to score a half-century in the first innings joining captain Nick Bertus (85) and Abbott (62).

The resistance and resolve of the Parramatta lower order managed to add 66 runs during the first two sessions of the second day after it resumed at 7/268.

Both Copperfield (15) and Jack White (15) provided Turrell with solid support by occupying the crease for long periods of time. The innings of Copperfield lasted 97 deliveries.

Neil-Smith returned the outstanding figures of 4-49 from 27 overs for Sydney University. It complemented a remarkable performance by Tim Cummins behind the stumps. He took five catches in the first innings.

In response, Parramatta made the perfect start to put Sydney University immediately on the back foot when it lost Larkin in the 10th over and quickly fell to 3/30 in the 21st over.

Among those first three wickets to fall was leading run-scorer for Sydney University in McDonald’s NSW Premier Cricket during 2017-18, Damien Mortimer (14), who was dismissed in almost exactly the same way as Ben Trevor-Jones (7). Both men were caught at bat pad from rearing deliveries by Copperfield into the body.

A 56-run partnership between Cowan and Liam Robertson (31) recovered the situation slightly for Sydney University, but the constant flow of wickets continued throughout the evening session.

In the Second Grade Grand Final, Manly-Warringah was dismissed for 256 on the second day, and in reply, Northern District are 4/93.

Manly captain Sam Gainsford (90) was the star for the visitors. Arshdeep Virdi (53) also performed admirably for Manly and Joshua Miller (4-52) returned best figures for Northern District.

Sydney University are the Third Grade champions for 2017-18 after it defeated Sydney by 104 runs. The Tigers were dismissed for 170 in reply to 274 posted by the students. University captain Ash Cowan (63) was awarded the Mick Favell Medal for Player of the Match.

Manly-Warringah prevailed in the Fourth Grade Grand Final against Western Suburbs at Manly Oval. It dismissed the Magpies for 132 in defence of 159. Manly was 3/51 in the second innings.

The David Givney Medal for Player of the Match in the Fourth Grade Grand Final was awarded to Manly captain Adam Gummer for his 54 from 194 balls in the first innings.

Manly-Warringah also claimed the Fifth Grade crown after it defeated Parramatta on the first innings at Old Kings Oval.

Manly took a 45-run lead into the second innings, and despite a declaration by Parramatta at 5/119 in search of an outright result, the visitors finished the day at 0/55 to secure the draw and claim the title.

The James Rogers Medal for Player of the Match was awarded to Dylan Marshall (5-25) from the Manly-Warringah club for his first innings five-wicket haul.

Last updated: Sunday April 1, 2018 9:30PM