NSW Premier Cricket today named the players selected in the 2017/18 AW Green Shield Merit XII.
Regarded as the strongest junior club competition in the world, the AW Green Shield is NSW Premier Cricket’s U/16 competition and forms part of the Club Championship.
Many NSW and Australian players have been part of this competition in the past, including Australian captain Steven Smith, David Warner, Mitchell Starc, Stephen O’Keefe, Nic Maddinson, Pat Cummins, Kurtis Patterson, Gurinder Sandhu, Sean Abbott and Chris Green.
Based on statistics from the preliminary rounds only, the AW Green Shield Merit XII comprises the top six batsmen in the competition, the top five bowlers and the leading wicketkeeper. Ties are separated by superior average, wicket-keeper separated by most runs.
All players will receive a commemorative cap in recognition of their selection.
The players selected in the 2017/18 AW Green Shield Merit XII are (clubs in brackets):
1. Jack Attenborough (UNSW; 327 runs at 65.40 average, HS 116no);
2. Jake Osborne (Manly-Warringah, 302 runs at 43.14, HS 90);
3. Tanveer Sangha (Campbelltown-Camden, 286 runs at 47.67, HS 103);
4. Zeeshaan Ahmed (Bankstown, 276 runs at 55.20, HS 154no);
5. Ryley Smith (Penrith, 265 runs at 37.86, HS 96);
6. Jack Davis-Rice (Gordon, 254 runs at 42.33, HS 73).
7. Ethan Debono (Bankstown, 16 dismissals);
8. Alexander Deller (Randwick Petersham, 17 wickets at 10.53; Best 4/30);
9. Jazz Rinka (Sydney University, 16 wickets at 15.25; Best 4/38);
10. Venkatachalam Viswanathan (Haw, 15 wickets at 12.20; Best 4/33);
11. Tom Bell Bird (UNSW, 14 wickets at 12.79; Best 4/28);
12. Hugh Sherriff (Sydney, 14 wickets at 14.50; Best 5/29).